Support Websites for Young People
Check these topics out and see if any might be helpful for your own situation - or for a friend or someone in your family. (You could also check out this web link page)
Tips for Tough Times
When Someone You Care About Has Died
Free Support Phone Lines (New Zealand)
- Whatsup - a counselling phone line for 5 - 18 yrs, available 1pm to 11pm, seven days a week, 7 days a week, with trained counsellors taking the calls.
- Kidsline - info and telephone counselling for children age 9 to 13 years old
General Youth Support Sites
- Sparx - is an online gaming environment that gives you skills to cope with feeling down, anxious, stressed or depressed
- Reach Out - Australian youth site, award winning and full of helpful information about many youth issues. The contact is info is Australian.
- The Word - questions answered about sex, life and relationships
- Trippin' - created by Taranaki youth to help figure out what's going on when your life feels a bit 'out of it'
- Attitude - a NZ website 'for your head' tackling youth issues in your everyday life
- Project K adventure programme and mentoring
- Youth Law NZ legal info and support for young people
Depression, Stress and Mental Health
- Young Minds - UK website committed to supporting the mental health of all children and young people
- Teen Mental Health - for families and young people, Canada
Alcohol, Drugs and Addiction
If Your Parent Has a Mental Illness or Addiction
- Is There Anybody Out There? This is a comic book for young people who have a parent with a mental illness, and it explains mental illness in an easy to understand way. (A Community Focus Association Inc publication, Sunshine Coast, Australia)
- Better Ways to Better Days - for young people with a parent with a mental illness or addiction problem (ddrugs or alcohol). (Rockingham and Kwinana guide, Australia) Note, the contact details cnanot be used in New Zealand.
Illness and Disability Topics
- Canteen NZ - support to young cancer patients, their families and friends
- Now What? Australian - for young people with cancer
- Riprap - for young people when a parent has cancer
For Brothers and Sisters of those with an illness or disability
- Rainbow Touchstones six online stories about mental health from young members of New Zealand's LGBT communities.
- Rainbow Youth for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender youth in NZ
Youth Health Topics
- Violence Happens
- Sex’N’Respect (NZ)
This talks about how to heal after experiencing abuse, how to help a friend, how to step up and be an active bystander if you see something dodgy, consent, what to do if you are being sexually harmful and much more! They also have a great where to get help page with plenty of links to other great websites and resources for young people in need of assistance with a variety of issues.